>> Friday, July 1, 2011
Last night (and early this morning) I made my long-awaited ring sling! Last week, I picked out 2.5 yards of pretty blue 97% cotton 3% spandex bottomweight from JoAnns, and ordered my sling rings. I also knew I wanted to do some sort of accent panel, but I wasn't sure what fabric to use. Luckily, I remembered that I'd held on to a beautiful silk sarong of Kate's that no longer fit me, but that I knew I wanted to use in some project or another down the road. It matched perfectly with the fabric I'd picked out, so it found it's new home as a panel on my sling.
I used a modification of Jan Andrea's pleated shoulder and added an accent band to match the panel on the tail. The pleats were definitely the most tedious part of the whole project, and I'm really proud of how they turned out. After I got the first four pressed and pinned, it went fairly easily from there.
Cady and I used it for the first time on a trip to the park today, and we were both super comfy! I'm really excited to finally have a ring sling, and for the bargain price of ~$15! (Similar sell on etsy.com for more than four times what I spent on materials). I'm hoping to do a step-by-step tutorial to go along with my next one. I think I may be addicted!